Pulleys NO Failure
The Pulley Lagging Specialists
Our Market Focus
We understand the demands and needs of our clients and the ultimate end-user. Our products are designed with both in mind.
Tread patterns engineered for traction you can rely on. Products designed with the applicator in mind. Rubber compounded for the specific task that is Pulley Lagging. We outlast and outperform.
ABEAR Bond Strength
A Bonding Layer is not just a Bonding Layer. With our deeper understanding of CN polymers, you can trust ours to be the best globally. We average over 30N/mm in a 90' Peel Test.
Whether in the design phase, or overcoming a challenging application, we are here to offer our advice and expertise. Browse our online articles or contact us directly.
Rubber Backed Ceramic Lagging
This product range is our specialty and where we started. Our Rubber Backed Ceramic Pulley Lagging Products are designed for maximum traction, ease of installation and longevity. Longevity encompasses not only the Pulley Lagging itself, but the conveyor belt which is usually the most expensive component in the conveyor belt system. Our Onyx Tread was developed with an anti-vibration tread pattern which extends the life of the bearings, pulley and the drivetrain components.
Our Production Process
We produce all our Pulley Lagging products in our factory in Johannesburg South Africa. Quality is closely monitored and tested at every stage. We do full batch and serial number tracking. Critical processes such as the coating of our ceramic tiles are automated (the picture on the right is of our prototype coating machine in 2016). Our tooling is designed in-house and specific to our machinery and processes. Through the use of 3D printing, we work closely with our clients and installers to perfect the designs before we bring them to market.
Our Pulley Lagging Installation Services
In the same facility where we manufacture Pulley Lagging, we offer the service of installing Pulley Lagging. Beyond the usual quality inspection, a 90' Peel Test is done concurrently with each Pulley using the exact same Pulley Lagging and adhesive batches. We keep the physical test for 2 years in order to assist OEMs with upholding warranties and guarantees.
We also offer installation and technical training for Pulley Lagging maintenance contractors and resellers.
The ABEAR Bonding Layer
Through research and testing of many chloroprene polymers, this has become one of the features that separates ABEAR Industrial Pulley Lagging from the rest. Using approved adhesives, our Bonding Layer gives Full Rubber Tear Strength in a 90' Peel Test at over 30N/mm. This gives clients peace of mind for even the most aggressive applications and eliminates the need to make use of the outdated and costly steam curing process.
Custom Services and Products
Our background and partnerships with tool makers, rubber compounders, clients, suppliers and polymer experts has given us the ability to develop custom solutions to challenges or opportunities that our clients may be confronted with. These are two of our most recent developments.
Food Grade Pulley Lagging
In South Africa, Food Grade Pulley Lagging is usually imported which comes at a high cost. As a result most applications that require Food Grade Compounds skip Pulley Lagging entirely and run conveyor belts on bare pulleys.
A number of companies approached us and requested that we develop something for the Food Processing Industry and local Fishing Industry.
The result is we now have a Food Grade Pulley Lagging that meets FDA requirements and is available in both a Mini-Diamond and Plain Tread.
EZ-Install Ceramic Lagging
A major challenge for mines in remote parts of Africa is the lack of readily available skilled contractors.
Two clients approached us and explained their challenges regarding the lack of skilled applicators and the need for an easy-to-install Rubber Backed Ceramic Lagging product. The product still needed to offer excellent traction and service life, whilst being exceptionally flexible and simple to install.
With a short video, printed instructions, and a new Rubber Backed Ceramic product called EZ-Install Ceramic Lagging, ABEAR was able to offer and supply a solution.
Commitment to Employees
Because of its history, South Africa is a society of deep inequalities with one of the largest wealth gaps in the world. At ABEAR Industrial we have made it part of our ethos to upskill our employees and pay salaries that are far higher than what is the industry standard. In addition, in 2021 we are launching a bursary scheme to put people through Engineering Diploma Courses.
This commitment to our employees has resulted in our employees giving outstanding service to our clients and having a vested interest in the future of ABEAR Industrial.
At least 50% of the innovation in our products and production processes come from employees that work on the factory floor.
Frequently asked questions
About Our products
ABEAR Industrial manufactures all the Pulley Lagging products in 500mm wide strips or rolls. This is known in the industry as Strip Pulley Lagging.
- Tighter control of drying times for adhesives resulting in better bond strengths over the entire pulley.
- Easier to handle. This results in a better finish and the bonding side of the strips are easier to keep clean which is critical in ensuring a strong bond to the pulley face.
- Reduced stock-holding. Cut-to-size rolls can be used to fit any pulley face-width. This increased versatility means that stock of lagging of each width is no longer necessary, and it in turn reduces wastage through excessive off-cuts and aging stock.
There are many benefits in using ABEAR Industrial's cold bonding strip Pulley Lagging instead of Steam Cured Pulley Lagging. Steam Cured Pulley Lagging is an outdated and expensive method in comparison. Here are some of the benefits of switching to ABEAR Industrial cold bonded Pulley Lagging:
- Much Faster Turnaround Times. ABEAR Industrial Pulley Lagging can be installed in-situ, with no compromise in performance of the Pulley Lagging, which means a conveyor system can be brought back online within a matter of hours and run for years without issue. Steam Cured Pulley Lagging can take weeks or months depending on the transport time. Using Steam Cured Pulley Lagging often forces a mine to carry unnecessary spares, and because rubber ages often the spares need the Pulley Lagging replaced before going into service anyway.
- Higher Performance. The mechanical specifications of ABEAR Industrial Pulley Lagging are guaranteed, this is due to the way in which the Pulley Lagging is cured in a hydraulic press under very high pressures and tightly controlled temperatures. Compare this to Steam Cured Pulley Lagging where pressures are much lower and heat is passed through the top surface of the rubber for an extended period in order to cure the underside of the rubber - resulting in much poorer mechanical performance and abrasion properties. Beyond this, the standard steam-curing process tends to cause a variation in thickness of the pulley lagging around the circumference of the pulley. Other Steam Cure processes involve pre-curing sheets of rubber then using a steam autoclave to bond them – however this process results in at least a double cure for that top surface of rubber which comes at the expense of mechanical properties and rubber life. In all cases, the Steam Autoclave process cannot produce complex tread patterns.
- Minimal Transport Costs and Downtime. Reduced need for cranes and no expensive transport required for ABEAR Industrial Pulley Lagging.
- Lower Total Costs. This includes downtime, crane hire, additional labour for bearing removal etc. and realignment of the pulley. Not to mention the hidden cost that comes with Steam Cured Pulley Lagging with reduced life.
- No Rust. Steel and steam do not mix well. Need we say more?
- ABEAR Industrial Bonds are Stronger. Our Bond Strengths average around 30N/mm.
- Joins Are Not a Problem. Often Steam Cured Pulley Lagging Manufacturers point to joins as a potential issue. However, through the use of approved adhesives and primers, the joins present no issue. To date we have had no failure linked to the multiple joins of our Pulley Lagging and our Pulley Lagging is in use on Feeder Belts that have arguably the highest tensions and are amongst the most aggressive applications in the world.
We have a product for every application. Whether it is food grade, light duty or heavy duty in a wet/icy muddy environment, we will be able to recommend a product from our range.
About Sales And Orders
For basic enquiries, where the client knows what product they require, we just need the pulley face-width and diameter.
For enquiries where the client requires advice on what product to use, we ideally ask for the following information:
- Pulley face-width and diameter.
- Operating conditions (temperature, climate and even what country it is in is often very helpful to know).
- Position of pulley in the conveyor system (tail, bend, take-up or drive and whether it is dirty side or not).
- Type of conveyor belt and conveyor belt class.
- Conveyor belt tensions.
- Availability of conveyor belt maintenance contractors.
Supply of Pulley Lagging Material:
- Master Rolls of 10mm and 12mm Rubber Profiled Lagging are kept in stock.
- Master Rolls of 12mm and 15mm Ceramic Lagging are kept in stock.
- Thicker sizes of Pulley Lagging generally are manufactured and supplied within the same day of the order, or within 24 hours, unless the order is particularly large.
Pulley Lagging Installation Services:
Our typical turnaround time is 24 hours from time of delivery to our factory, though this does depend on whether there is a backlog. However we always ensure we are able to keep our turnaround time to same-day for breakdowns.
Yes. We conduct failure analysis and can make recommendations to the overall conveyor belt system to improve efficiency and reduce downtimes.